WSET Level 3 Award in Wines
Book WSET Level 3 Award in Wines
About the Course
This course builds on the knowledge and tasting skills acquired from the Level 2 (Intermediate) course and continue with a clear focus on developing effective tasting technique. Successful students will be able to describe the production methods and organoleptic characteristics of a broad range of high-quality wines and spirits from around the world. The WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting is followed when tasting each wine.
The course runs over 15 sessions of 2 hours each, plus a final examination consisting of a Theory paper (50 multiple choice questions + short written answer questions) + a Tasting paper (blind tasting of 2 wines).
The Total Qualification Time for this course is 84 hours. At Wine Matters, we give you 32.5 Guided Learning Hours meaning you should complete a minimum of 51.5 hours of study outside of the classroom environment.
The sessions are as follows:
- Session 1: Introduction & Tasting Technique
- Session 2: Natural Factors & Human Influences In The Vineyard
- Session 3: Human Influences In The Winery
- Session 4: White Wines Of Alsace, Germany, Austria & Tokaji
- Session 5: White Wines Of Burgundy, the Loire Valley, and Bordeaux
- Session 6: Red & Rosé Wines Of Bordeaux, South West France & The Loire Valley
- Session 7: Red Wines Of Burgundy, Beaujolais And The Red & White Wines Of The Northern Rhône Valley
- Session 8: Red Wines Of Northern Spain And Red & White Wines Of Northern Italy
- Session 9: Red & White Wines Of Central & Southern Italy, Red Wines Of Portugal And Red & White Wines Of Greece
- Session 10: Red, White & Rosé Wines Of The Southern Rhône Valley And Southern France. Red Wines Of Spain Part I And White Wines Of Spain & Portugal
- Session 11: Premium Red Wines Of The New World
- Session 12: Premium White Wines Of The New World
- Session 13: Regional specialties Of The New World
- Session 14: Sparkling Wines
- Session 15: Fortified Wines
Wines by Country
You will learn about regional wines from the following countries:
The Wine and Spirit Education Trust - for more information on our courses as well as useful documents to support your study: www.wsetglobal.com
The Institute of Masters of Wine - the wine trade’s more prestigious qualification: www.mastersofwine.org
Decanter Magazine - for news and current events in the wine trade: www.decanter.com. Michael participates in panel tastings for Decanter.
The Drinks Business - news and articles relating to the wine trade: www.thedrinksbusiness.com. Michael participates in panel tastings for The Drinks Business.
The Wine and Spirit Trade Association - useful information and links relating specifically to the UK wine and spirits industry including the indispensable UK trade diary: www.wsta.co.uk
WineSearcher - A useful site for checking current prices and availability for most wines: www.wine-searcher.com
Winetraders - Michael’s Italian wine importing company. You can find more information on some of the wines tasted on the course: www.winetraders.eu
WineWays - Michael’s wine travel company: www.wine-ways.com
Smeaton’s Gin - www.smeatons-gin.com/