WSET Level 2 Award in Wines
Book WSET Level 2 Award in Wines
About the Course
This is an intermediate course in the art and science of wine, aimed at those already working in the trade or keen amateurs ready to explore in a little more depth. You will learn about the key grape varieties, different styles of wine, and the production of spirits and liqueurs. Tasting technique is a key component and every session will include a themed selection of wines to illustrate the main points discussed. You will learn to use the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting to analyse wines objectively and consistently.
The course runs over 8 sessions of 2 hours each, plus a final examination consisting of 50 multiple choice questions.
The Total Qualification Time for this course is 28 hours. At Wine Matters, we give you 17 Guided Learning Hours meaning you should complete a minimum of 11 hours of study outside of the classroom environment.
The sessions are as follows:
- Session 1: Introduction to Tasting
- Session 2: Factors influencing the production of red wines. Pinot Noir, Zinfandel/Primitivo
- Session 3: Factors influencing the production of white, sweet and rosé wines. Riesling, Cheni Blanc, Sèmillon/Semillon, Furmint
- Session 4: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris/Pinot Grigio, Gewurztraminer, Viognier, Albariño
- Session 5: Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz/Syrah
- Session 6: Gamay, Grenache/Garnacha, Tempranillo, Carmenère, Malbec, Pinotage
- Session 7: Cortese, Garganega, Verdicchio, Fiano, Nebbiolo, Barbera, Corvina, Sangiovese, Montepulciano
- Session 8: Sparkling & Fortified wines
Wines by Country
You will learn about regional wines from the following countries: